Are there effective canker sore remedies ?
Most people having canker sores will only have a few outbreaks every year. For these, there are a lot of choices to effectively find canker sore remedies as drugstores sell different kind of Over The Counter local remedies. There are also many canker sore home remedies available on the internet or through family traditions, that sometimes will help those having a canker sore occasionally.
Other patients actually have chronic canker sores and will suffer from a minimum of six canker-sore-outbreaks every-year and sometimes even continuously. For those, finding the appropriate canker sore remedy is, sadly, always much more difficult!
In case you keep getting these ulcers inside your mouth, this means you suffer from recurring canker sores otherwise called RAU or RAS(recurrent aphthous ulcers or stomatisis): what you should do is pay a visit to your Physician, to eliminate the risk of mouth cancer which sometimes start with unexplained and unhealing canker sores.
Now, to really find the right canker sore remedy, here is a list of different choices:
Canker sore remedies
- AftaZen : a systemic canker sore remedy used in mouth ulcers prevention, for people suffering from recurring canker sores. Its formulation will help cure the cause of the sores without any secondary effects ;
- A mouthwash will sometimes help avoiding pain and preventing secondary-infection; however oral flora could be imbalanced by extensive use.
- Colchicine, a medication that generally cures gout, is used in some cases as a canker sore remedy. But its long-term side effects are very strong.
- Corticosteroid-based canker sore remedies are also used to limit the inflammatory process on sores; however clinical studies have shown a risk of mouth-candidosis or atrophty of the mucosa when used for a long period of time.
- Thalidomide, the famous anti-nausea pill used as a sedative in the 1950s and later withdrawn after very serious side-effects were discovered (among which birth defects), has proved to be one of the most effective canker sore remedies. But it needs to be monitored carefully with a strict medical control, and is often abandonned due to the bad secondary effects (noticed in 97% cases)